HALLOWEEN HAUNTS - Horror Writer's Association - Trick-or-Treating of the DEAD

I had just gotten out of a three week hospital stay during the harshest point of my radiation treatment on Halloween and decided that 18 was still not too old to go get candy.
CLICK TO READ! - I AM A ZOMBIE!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

STEVE LaCHANCE INTERVIEW

My Interview with Steve LaChance
T. Fox Dunham

Fox Note:

Every Halloween, I order a a collection of horror books, usually zombie anthologies and scary stories. A rare treat is a book about a true demonic haunting. For the past few years, I have enjoyed The Uninvited by Steven LaChance. It describes his experiences dealing with a true demonic haunting, while he lived in the home and helping out the later resident. The experience changed his life and opened his eyes to a wider universe.
 

I was fortunate to contact Mr. LaChance, and he agreed to an interview for the site. You can see his story on an episode of Discovery Channel's A Haunting, which has recently started again with new seasons. He is also releasing a sequel book, which I am looking forward to reading and adding to my Halloween collection.


INTERVIEW WITH STEVE LaCHANCE


How has your experience changed your view of the world?
I think it has taken away a little bit of the false security we all feel. There are times I catch myself in a public place and I look at people and wish I did not know the things that I have learned. I suppose you could say that I should find some kind of solace in the fact I now know there is something more after death. That is simply not the case at all. The entire experience has raised more questions about the afterlife and the unseen things which could be surrounding us on a daily basis. We simply have no clue. There is a sense of an invasion of privacy even when I am alone. You can never really be sure if there is not something else there with you. I was attacked at some of the most private moments in our lives we just simply take for granted. I cannot put my head on my pillow at night and feel absolutely secure.


 

Do you believe you were selected for this experience by fate or divine selection?
I would like to think so. It makes dealing with it all a bit easier. I know I have changed lives and I have helped many people on a paranormal level and not. Was I selected for some kind of soldier in a spiritual warfare battle? I think that idea might be going a little bit too far. However, I do feel the experience was given to me at a time when I needed it. That is hard to explain to someone who has not been through something of this magnitude. It is all a strange dichotomy in a way. One hand I wish I had never lived through it at all and on the other hand it was one of the single most changing events in my life. It made me the person I am today. I believe things happen for a reason and there are times we are given things in this life when we need them. Not all of those things are going to be pleasant. In the end, the most important thing is the lesson learned. Those lessons are the character builders which make us the people we are. I don’t know maybe it is just my way of putting it all into a box which makes it easier to understand and handle.


 

What do you say to skeptics who don’t believe your story?  
I have been very lucky in this respect. For the most part, people have the understanding we went through something life changing and horrible. How they fit that understanding into their reality box can vary. The few true skeptics I come across I remind them I use to be a skeptic too and I will be there for them if something like this ever happens to them because I am the guy you call for help. An important point to also understand is that the more I do this work, the more of a skeptic I become myself. There is a whole lot of fraud and BS out there in this world. Sometimes it is all you can handle just to dig your way through it all in order to find those who truly need your help. In the end, I have found I feel more alone than anything else because I have come to understand the events which happened to my family are very rare. Not exactly the exclusive club you want to find yourself in.

 

What advice would you give others who are suffering a demonic haunting?
I could give you a whole dissertation on this subject alone. The most important thing you can help them with is to understand how they have played a part in their situation. How they invited this into their lives. I am not talking about this in a religious sense or spiritual one either. The spirit can come into play, but it is often something that has nothing to do with either of those things. Many times it is our actions in relation to other people which can cause the demonic to attract. Anger is one of the big ones. I personally had so much anger from my wife deserting us and my sister dying that it was like a match to dynamite. It is the easiest way I can explain it to you. The demonic are attracted to dysfunction.


 

How did you approach writing the Uninvited? Did you have a strategy?  
The only strategy I had when I wrote the book was to have a conversation with the reader. I wanted anyone who reads the book to feel like I am right there talking to them. I guess you could say another strategy was not to hold back even when it was difficult to explain some of the things that happened. I also wanted to take responsibility for the things I did wrong for the investigator who could possibly read it. By no means did I ever put myself on a pedestal having the attitude I know everything. The truth is there have been a lot of people before and there will be a lot of people after who will battle with these same questions. The point is, for those who live through something horrific like this, we could care less what name it is given. We simply want the help to get rid of it and to keep it out of our lives. There is the difference between a real case and fantasy.

 

Please tell us about your current projects and your future work.  
I am just finishing the final edit to the follow up book to The Uninvited. It is often a misunderstanding that once a door closes and you walk away from a haunted house it is over. Lorraine Warren told us a long time ago it would never be truly over. When she said this I did not understand. I do now. Also, we have so much more history about the land the house is built upon and we now have a pretty clear picture what is causing the disturbance. The new book is called, Blessed are the Wicked. It will be out sometime in 2013. I am also working on living a normal life. I miss normalcy. I have moved to Myrtle Beach, SC and I have to tell you the beach is good for the soul. There are other things I am working on. I am also really turning my focus to hard core research and the development of new ideas which I hope will help us gain a better understanding. You know the one thing about me that differs from the rest of the paranormal crowd is I am not doing one ounce of my work for them. My focus is the regular guy out there. I want to answer his or her questions about life and death. I want to take them on a journey they may have never thought of taking or are too afraid to take that step. The paranormal crowd is just preaching to the choir. The other people are the ones that matter. Them, and those out there who are in need of quality help and a kind word.



TWITTER: @StevenLaChance

Books: Available at Amazon, Barnes and Nobel, Books a Million, and anywhere books are sold. 

Amazon Link For Steven A. LaChance:



Books: 
The Uninvited
Crazy
Blessed are the Wicked (coming soon)  

Films:  
The Morse Mill Project:
Children Of The Grave
The Possessed
A Haunting "Fear House"
The Unseen
Supernatural Fifth Season

Blessed are the Wicked is Steven's next book which is a follow up to his best selling book "The Uninvited." It will be released in 2013.


All content, submission, transmission, and rights reserved 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Wow -- thanks for that… Excellent interview, and another book for me to read. I'd also like to know what you think (both Fox and Steven) about the Dibbyk Box. (The book, not the movie.)

    ReplyDelete